Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Director_My Personal Story


My name is Han-Eun Song, but you can just call me "Han". Let me introduce my story and dream.

I was born on Cheju(Jeju) Island in 1957. When I was in the 5th grade at Sogwipo Elementary School, I was later transferred to another elementary school in Seoul. I had to leave my family at this young age, in the hopes of getting a better quality education.

In 1975 I entered Yon-Sei University which has a good reputation in many respects; it was here that I began my studies in Business Administration. When I was a junior, I was elected president of Young-Nak Church Collegian Association whose members numbered more than 300 college students. It was at this time that I began my study of the Bible and to believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I believe that God is love and light, so we can share love and joy with you even if you have a different religion or no religion at all.

In 1981, I went to America to continue my education. While in America, I met Jin-Hee and we got married in 1982. Now we have two wonderful daughters and we're a very happy family.

I studied Industrial Management and Accounting and later obtained my master degree in Accounting at California State University at Northridge (CSUN) in 1988. I also passed all four parts of the CPA (Certified Public Accountants) exam in one sitting. After graduating from CSUN, I decided to come back to Korea, instead of pursuing my CPA career in America; since my father had cancer and I wanted to be with my parents.

After I came back to Korea, my father got through the cancer operation and recovered miraculously by God's grace. It was a miracle. In 1989, I chose to establish a foreign language institute and a private institute where many subjects such as math, Korean, English and science are taught. I did this because I believe that providing a competitive high quality English education is essential for this community's survival and prosperity. This whole effort is my vision for this community and the world it touches.

Our institutes have grown in spite of many unfavorable conditions and unspeakable hardships. Now we have about 40 teachers and staff. We are all coworkers, pursuing the same goal of a better quality and more wonderful education, which can satisfy the right needs of students, parents and society.

I have had this dream and vision of helping students live in truth and love, within which they can develop their talents to the fullest, for the purpose of making the world a brighter and more wonderful place. You will find abundant happiness and joy while you work here at Yale. I believe Yale will overcome all difficulties and thus achieve the vision with our coworkers' love and God's help. Ultimately we will establish and operate an international school where almost all subjects are taught in English, so that the people can be brought up who can make Cheju Island a more wonderful and peaceful international community.

I attribute Yale's happiness and success to all my coworkers, family and God. I have been very grateful to all my coworkers-teachers, staff and bus drivers. There have been many North American teachers who have renewed their contract after finishing their 1-year contract. I greatly appreciate the dedication of the North American teachers and their love for their students and coworkers. They have been reliable and responsible for their jobs. I've learned from them how to find the balance between working professionally and enjoying leisure time.

In closing, I believe we'll help, love, respect support and cooperate with one another. I pray for each one's happiness and health. You and I can make this world a brighter and more beautiful place with faith, hope and love.


Han-Eun Song
Director of Yale Foreign Language Academy